PDA

View Full Version : Best Picture Survivor! Group D - Round 2

Skooch
02-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Gigi (1958) and Shakespeare in Love (1998) were eliminated.

So rather than eliminate three movies from each grouping, I've decided to go with the two that received the most votes. This will speed along the process. Just remember: you're voting for the movie you want to eliminate. After this round, I'll merge one of the groupings into the rest of them.

Ormie
02-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Just looked up "You Can't Take It With You"...a comedy won best picture? 1938 sounds pretty awesome.

Vernitis
02-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I wish more comedies won best picture or other awards but the CW says anything good about a comedy is only because of the writers. Then Hollywood makes shitty comedy films with actors who aren't funny and blame the writers.

Osiris
02-04-2008, 07:08 PM
It was a Capra film. I'm sure 99% of you have no idea what that means.

The two leading vote getters are movies directed by Capra and Hitchcock. Undeniably two of the top ten directors of all time. Way to go guys.

Hun
02-04-2008, 07:09 PM
I think 99% is a bit over an overreaction. You do have one person with a claimed vast knowledge of film, a film student and me, so that would be 4 of us. I don't think that alone would mean 99% have never heard of him.

Osiris
02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
There a 99% chance I'm prone to exageration.

Kudos on ignoring the cruxt of my indictment though.

Hun
02-04-2008, 07:14 PM
No problem. I'm not getting involved in this, thing.

But I'll agree with you on your statement about Capra and Hitchcock. Of course, I think Hitchcock's body of work surpasses anything by any other director, but I grew up watching his movies and see a lot of them with rose-tinted glasses.

However, when you have someone on the board that claims all musicals pale into insignificance compared to South Park: The Movie, you have to realise that there's a fair few philliestines on the board.

PCC
02-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Rebecca was good, but not great. It was early Hitchcock while he was still working out the kinks, but at the end of the day it isn't among his top five best works.

I mean, I think films like Boxcar Bertha and Space Cowboys are crap even though Scorsese and Eastwood are fantastic directors.

buckdiddy
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I like Hitchcock but I couldn't stand Rebecca for some reason. Just bugged me watching it.

Osiris
02-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Rebecca is great. It may not be as great as Rear Window or Suspicion, but its a top ten Hitchcock and certainly should have lasted longer in this than Mrs. Miniver or Hamlet. I'll admit that I haven't seen either of them but come on.

PCC
02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Suspicion? Really?

Top 5 Hitchcock Films (in no particular order):
- Strangers on a Train
- Rope
- Rear Window
- The Birds
- Vertigo

Top 10 (including above five; again, no particular order):
- Psycho (knew everything about the film before I saw it, sadly)
- Dial M for Murder
- The 39 Steps
- Shadow of a Doubt
- Notorious

Osiris
02-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Shadow of a Doubt was what I meant. I get them confused.

I also found The Birds and Vertigo to be overrated.

Kendergardener
02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Whose music videos did Hitchcock get his start on?

buckdiddy
02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
No North By Northwest love?

Hun
02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Vertigo is such an over-rated film, IMO. Average story, predictable twist and hammy acting. I'm sure I posted about it in the Movie Review Fred.

Osiris
02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm frankly a bit puzzled by the Rope love also. Awfully gimmicky.

Top Three are definitely Strangers on a Train, Rear Window and Shadow of a Doubt.

PCC
02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
No North By Northwest love?

Top 15, easily. Enjoyable film, but a tad too family friendly.

Vertigo is a tad overrated, but I still maintain it's his second-best psychological thriller behind Rear Window. The Birds scared the ever-loving shit out of me.

PCC
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm frankly a bit puzzled by the Rope love also. Awfully gimmicky.

Top Three are definitely Strangers on a Train, Rear Window and Shadow of a Doubt.

Rope is great because of the relationship between the two non-Jimmy Stewart lead characters. Ones a fucking psychopath, the others a rational man who's been lead astray. They're also gay lovers, which makes it all the more fucking awesome to see their reactions to the murder. It's a very complex story (adapted from a play) and Hitchcock executed everything about it very well.

The gimmick is also awesome, and lends itself to the story well.

Ormie
02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
However, when you have someone on the board that claims all musicals pale into insignificance compared to South Park: The Movie, you have to realise that there's a fair few philliestines on the board.

I didn't say they "pale into insignificance compared to South Park", I said they all suck ass. A bunch of people are talking and then just break into song and dance for a couple minutes and then go back to acting normal. Probably the only "real" musical I can stand is Mary Poppins...and that's probably because I saw it when I was a kid.