Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office - Crossing the Pond

Thanks
    So as a big fan of the American version, I've decided to give the UK version a try. I figured I'd do some running thoughts on each episode, and might give an interesting perspective as someone familiar with the spinoff but not the source material. May burn out on it though, we'll see.

The first episode is entitled "Downsizing." As I recall, the first episode of the American Version was a carbon copy of this, so here we go:

- Oh boy, understanding Gervais is going to be a chore, here we go.

- Have to give the hotness edge to Pam over Dawn. I think I could project movies on Dawn's forehead.

- Could tell who was the UK's Jim before he ever said a word just from the hair.

- Gareth seems like more of a spaz/douche than American Dwight who's more of just a nerd/dork.

- Jim/Tim seem the most alike in terms of characterization so far.

- UK Jan seems slightly more like the iron lady than Jan did.

- I think Gervais is making a lot of references to British Pop culture that are just over my head. I got Ali G and Camilla Parker Bolles. That's about it.

- Is Finchy the UK Todd Packer?

- Ricky could easily dunk on Ryan in a battle of the temps.

- Ricky Gervais is kind of unpleasant to look at for extended periods of time. The goatee doesn't really help, but they're going for a "regular company" vibe so I suppose that's in their favor to a certain extent.

- UKevin and USA Kevin give off the same sort of vibe.

- Kind of bored so far.

- Hooray! A meeting!

- Gareth has some of the most sunken in eyes this side of Taff's girlfriend.

- Jim and Tim could be cousins or something. Though maybe it's just the hair.

- UK Roy kind of looks like USA Roy as well.

- Tim/Roy's interactions was the first semi-funny thing in this episode.

- Do Brits actually say "thieving?"

- The fake-firing joke is as awkward here as it was in the USA version.

Well, overall, I didn't laugh once, but as I recall it was the same story for the Pilot of the American Version, so we'll see how the rest of the season goes.

"You should quote a Simpsons episode - that would show us." - Dirty Hun

YOUR 2006 and 2008 NFL Pick 'Em Champion

Thanks
    Dawn is not at all attractive. Really killed the concept for me. I've seen the first 4 or so.
    NPP Fantasy Football Legend

Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I worry that what you just heard was "Give me a lot of bacon and eggs." What I said was, "Give me all the bacon and eggs you have." Do you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by HeisenGuy View Post
    I hope Vince Mcmahon dies

Thanks
    Eh, Tim isn't all that attractive either, so it balances out.

Managed to track down my reaction to the first episode of the US Version:

Quote Originally Posted by Kendergardener View Post
    So just to update you guys (as I'm sure you've been waiting desperately to hear more), I finished the first season of the office. Oddly, the first and the last episodes were the clunkers, but the middle ones were pretty good.
    And this was Scots' response

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    First episode of the Office US was so horrible. It was almost a carbon copy of the Office UK, except ooooh so much worse. It basically created a big hatred for the office US, up until season 2 started rolling out the classics.
    Weird that the phrasing stuck with me. Just for kicks I went ahead and watched the pilot of the US Version again. In some places it's practically a shot for shot remake. I liked it better than the UK version, though that's probably just because I'm more familiar with the characters and I get Michael's cultural references. Plus they seemed to make more of an effort to develop the Jim/Pam thing and give Pam an actual personality from the getgo.

Thanks
    I think you're supposed to like the US version better. If you didn't then it would kinda negate the point of making one.

The reverse isn't true and if I ever see Russ Abbott I'm going to punch him in the face for trying to be Al Bundy.
    A Decade of Discourse

Thanks
    Yeah it's two different comedic approaches to each show.
    Quote Originally Posted by NippleAppleCrap View Post
    me and shaft own a house boat on Lake Erie
    Posted via Mobile Device
    THE KING OF NPP

Thanks
    The UK version is at least 100x more uncomfortable and cringe-inducing then the US version. I watched the first UK season before they made the US one, then tried to watch Season 2 UK after I finished watching Season 2 US and couldn't do it. Ricky Gervais is more horrible and more pathetic.
    There's not a problem that I can't fix, cause I can do it in the mix.

Thanks
    On to Season 1, Episode 2 entitled "Work Experience"

- Why is one of the women in the office wearing what looks like a smock that a dental assistant would wear?

- Oh she's the cleaning lady? Is that what cleaning ladies dress like in England? And they go to company meetings?

- Gareth's suit is about two sizes two big.

- Why so many fashion opinions? What's happening to me?

- Clint Eastwood bit was slightly clever.

- What's the point of the "hot chick"? She's no Amy Adams.

- Everyone raising their hands for "who printed this out for Joan?" question is the first truly funny moment of the show so far.

- I think the best adjective to describe Gareth is "squirrelly."

- What is with this Tim and Dawn playing with each other's hair thing? That's kind of weird.

- Michael Jackson dance moves. Timely.

- So Gareth interviewing Keith and other people is Dwight being in charge of the Health Care plan right?

- Is "redundancies" the britspeak equivalent of "firings" or what?

- Yeah, Dawn is not attractive.

- Is Gareth's "deputy" supposed to be UK Angela?

- "I don't want you to think of me as your boss." "Well you're not." Slight chuckle.

- The bags under Gareth's eyes are pretty distracting.

- Gareth's discussion of gays in the military was funny.

- Lots of awkwardness with the "Julie Anderton" and come ons to UK Jan down in the warehouse. "It's a form of acting" was a cute retort.

- Perhaps to balance out the Pam/Dawn disparity. I think UK Jan is significantly hotter than USA Jan. Though she's not a very good actress.

- Yeah Chris Finch has to be Todd Packer. Is this more like the time that someone took a dump on the rug in the US Version?

- What was David calling?

Overall a slight improvement over the last one. A couple more cute moments but still nothing that's really had me laughing.

Thanks
    David was calling the talking clock. When you dial 123 it tells you the OFFICIAL time!

Thanks
    Been awhile since I watched The Office UK so I don't remember a lot of your references, but just to comment on a couple:

- Finch is basically Packer, yeah.

- I find it weird you liked the US Pilot more than the UK First ep. Just felt that they tried to get the awkwardness of the UK show and couldn't come close. Actually it's kinda funny because it's one of those things that I'd assume was gospel, so funny seeing someone think otherwise.

- Dawn definetely isn't a supermodel, but it's more just for the realism of the show. Plus it's hard to find a good looking lass in England.

Great idea for a thread, hope you stick with it all the way through. Definetely looking forward to your opionin on quite a few of the episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapes View Post
    Haha don't you brag about playing XBox all day? Just saying...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Scots I don't know why you're trying to shit on one of the few things that actually gets accomplished around here anymore. I get you have a history of fucking with Shaft but don't drag the whole contest down so the rest of us have to suffer if he decides it's not worth it anymore.

Thanks
    A talking clock? Is it any relation to a walking clock? What an age to be alive!

I get the realism of the show part and it's an admirable choice. Though I would say even Dwight is more pleasant to look at than Gareth. Actually, I think most of it would be fine without the talking heads.

As for the US pilot being better than the UK pilot, I think a lot of it has to do with my preexisting affection for the characters in the US Version. That said, I feel like the US pilot made more of an effort to establish the personalities and relationships of the main characters than the UK pilot did, though perhaps the UK pilot was trying to be more nuanced about it. I also think that part of it, like I said, was that David made a lot of references to British pop culture that I just don't get so they don't have the intended effect on an American whereas Michael's Hitler impression and him saying "nothin's gonna happen to my chill'en!" to Stanley hits home as delightfully awkward for me.

Thanks
    Have to say, Dawn looks 100 times better in the Xmas special. Lost a lot of weight.

Thanks
    Stop criticising their looks you American pig. They are supposed to look like real people. It's a genuine fake documentary. We know you don't let ugos in front of camera unless you're about to slice them open on a makeover show and make them look like everybody else, but this is isn't how we do things in our yard. Yet.

Dawn is a low quality tart though but work experience girl looks really dirty.
    has anyone else been blocked by bryan alvarez?

Thanks
    2nd thread recently where normal looking people on TV playing normal people causes American heads to explode.
    B L O G

Thanks
    What is the other one?
    has anyone else been blocked by bryan alvarez?

Thanks
    There is no way you can consider Gareth normal looking. Ricky Gervais is borderline at best.

Thanks
    I don't care about normal looking people being on TV. I care about below average looking chick being lusted after by some dude as a major plot point.

Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I worry that what you just heard was "Give me a lot of bacon and eggs." What I said was, "Give me all the bacon and eggs you have." Do you understand?

Thanks
    Plus there are more Americans than UKers. We have more good looking people than you guys. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by NippleAppleCrap View Post
    me and shaft own a house boat on Lake Erie
    Posted via Mobile Device
    THE KING OF NPP

Thanks
    I don't care about normal looking people being on TV. I care about below average looking chick being lusted after by some dude as a major plot point.
    He wants to be with her, not because of her looks, but because of them being so perfect for each other when it comes down to thier personalities. Shocking, I know, but there ya go.

Shaolin Guest
    Ormberg level idiocy in this post.

Thanks
    lolno

Closed Thread