Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: When the GF Moves In...

Thanks
    So I know plenty of the married folks have went through this here and probably some others too, but how do you handle the balance of "her stuff" versus "your stuff" when the girlfriend moves into your place?

YRM and I are taking that big step as she's moving into my house next month, which is something I've never experienced before. I've owned it for a couple years so I'm pretty settled in. How did you guys handle this? Should I just give her a couple rooms to decorate? What about the master bedroom? Am I to expect flowers and shit everywhere soon? Is this the beginning of the end of my manliness (LOL I NEVER HAD ANY BEFORE POOF)

And for the lone chick here, what's the expectation in the female's eyes when she moves into the guy's house?
    Moustaches and sports.

Stixx is offline Sad shell of his former self. That says A LOT!!!
    Thanks
    Clear some closet space and a corner of the garage for her stupid shit. If you're feeling benevolent, give her one room to fuck up, ideally the smallest one. Make it clear that you have the right to veto anything in the master bedroom at your discretion. She should also not have any say in what goes on the walls in common areas where you entertain guests.

That'll get you started, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
    I was betrayed! My troops lacked courage... it was not my fault!

Thanks
    In your case... probably go kill some more birds to celebrate.... you bastard.

Just play it as it comes but don't allow things to get out of hand
    PDC World Champion - Darts
    2012 NPP Bowling Tournament Champion
    Consolation Semi-Finalist in NPP Darts
    2008 IL's Most Sportsmanlike Poster
    2004 Broke the colour barrier on Scotsmanality.

PCC is offline Please don't ruin my internet experience like I ruin yours
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
    Clear some closet space and a corner of the garage for her stupid shit. If you're feeling benevolent, give her one room to fuck up, ideally the smallest one. Make it clear that you have the right to veto anything in the master bedroom at your discretion. She should also not have any say in what goes on the walls in common areas where you entertain guests.

That'll get you started, at least.
    Don't forget to change the fresh newspaper down at the bottom of her cage. And, this should be obvious, but fresh water and food daily.
    Reigning King of NPP Fantasy Sports:

2011, 2012 Fantasy Hockey Champion
    2011, 2012 Fantasy Basketball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    I'm backing PCC

Thanks
    Have you lived with people before? If you've lived with roommates the transition will be a lot easier as you know what to expect. If you haven't - yeah, you're fucked.

She'll most likely take over your house. Don't fight it; embrace it.

Also ignore anything Stapes says ITT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapes View Post
    Haha don't you brag about playing XBox all day? Just saying...
    Scots I don't know why you're trying to shit on one of the few things that actually gets accomplished around here anymore. I get you have a history of fucking with Shaft but don't drag the whole contest down so the rest of us have to suffer if he decides it's not worth it anymore.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    Don't forget to change the fresh newspaper down at the bottom of her cage. And, this should be obvious, but fresh water and food daily.

lol

Thanks
    Congratulations YRD.
    Posted via Mobile Device

PCC is offline Please don't ruin my internet experience like I ruin yours
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post

lol
    "HERES A CORNER OF MY GARAGE WOMAN THAT I'VE LEFT AVAILABLE FOR ALL YOUR STUPID SHIT, YOU BEST THINK TWICE IF YOU WANT TO PUT UP A PICTURE IN THE AREA OF MY HOUSE WHERE I ENTERTAIN GUESTS. GUESTS WILL NOT BE ENTERTAINED WITH YO PICTURES BITCH"
    Reigning King of NPP Fantasy Sports:

2011, 2012 Fantasy Hockey Champion
    2011, 2012 Fantasy Basketball Champion

I'm backing PCC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
    Have you lived with people before? If you've lived with roommates the transition will be a lot easier as you know what to expect. If you haven't - yeah, you're fucked.

This.

Is it that big of a deal if she tarts the place up? If interior design and the like is a big deal to you, you need to reevaluate your life.

"Her stuff" and "your stuff" made me chuckle though. Just mix it all up, let her decide what looks best and just enjoy getting drunk in a nice smelling environment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YourRealDad View Post

And for the lone chick here, what's the expectation in the female's eyes when she moves into the guy's house?
    It will be dirty and have to be cleaned. But, if she's moving in, that means she's obviously been there many many times and isn't horribly repulsed by it. Living with someone new is really tough. Now matter how long you've dated, it can't reallly prepare you. At least before you had somewhere else to go. Now? You're stuck under the same roof until shit gets worked out. You can't escape them and stuff will pop up and start to bug you. But, it's all a matter of perspective.

"Your stuff"? "Her stuff"? Yeah, drop that notion quick. Everything is now common and will remain that way until you break up and begin to viciously fight over who gets what.

Prepare to lose your closets.

Thanks
    Do either of you have any pets? Say like a Your Real Cat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hitchens View Post
    Opinion Polls are a device for influencing public opinion, not a device for measuring it. Crack that and it all makes sense.

Thanks
    Much thanks to all for assistance.

Slappy, I have a Your Real Newt that is 18 years old. Nothing else. She doesn't have a pet either. I expect a Your Real Dog may be on the horizon though.

I realize the "my stuff" and "her stuff" will slowly become "our stuff", which I am cool with. Most of my actual house stuff is shitty junk bought for dirt cheap, so I welcome someone with a better eye for design. She's a graphic designer by profession, so that should translate to actual interior design too. And I do look forward to things smelling nicer!

I've lived with countless roommates before, so I'm fine with people coming in and out. I've never lived with someone I'm having sex with though and who is going to infiltrate my closet though. For a dude, I have A LOT of clothes. This will force me to get rid of a lot of the shit I don't wear as a large donation will be given to the Salvation Army, so it's an extra blessing in disguise.

Should be a fun ride. You're all welcome to the re-house warming party in July!
    Moustaches and sports.

Thanks
    And PeteMoss, those dead birds came from Syncrude. I work for the other major oilsands operator.
    Moustaches and sports.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hun View Post

This.

Is it that big of a deal if she tarts the place up? If interior design and the like is a big deal to you, you need to reevaluate your life.

"Her stuff" and "your stuff" made me chuckle though. Just mix it all up, let her decide what looks best and just enjoy getting drunk in a nice smelling environment.
    QFT.

Lock the thread. Nothing of substance can be further added. Only the virgin crew piping in with requests for posting pictures of her bras & Star Treck analogies.

Rrrr Rrrr Rrr

Thanks
    I did enjoy the stixx/pcc banter.

Congratulations yrd.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks
    I almost got the feeling I'd offended some white knight sensibilities of his. That can't possibly be, though, so I'll just go with it being a natural extension of my suggesting the correct course of action.

Thanks
    Three people seem to agree that the correct course of action is to ignore stapes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks
    Ignore the Big Dog? Why don't we just ignore breathing oxygen while we're at it?!

Thanks
    Thanks Stixx. Bendo's just salty cause the rent's too damn high.
    Someone needs to page Stapes to this thread to slap Osiris down.
    Shanon's doppelganger

Thanks
    I'm seriously wrecked right now (hence the mobile boardin') but has Stapes posted in this thread yet? I thought he lived with a chick, teacher maybe? Dude might have some advice to dish out.

My personal experience is regardless of where you live now, you're gonna need a bigger place. Also, pick at least one night a week each that is your own. Do whatever the fuck you want that night.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread